The purpose of the Fund is to aid those suffering from deprivations of basic human needs with the ultimate goal to help sustain or attain a way of life which promotes mental, physical and spiritual wellbeing.
Criteria for qualification include:
- Recipient must be nonprofit organization that is tax exempt under IRS Section 501(c)(3 including a church or temple, community group that has a 501(c)(3) organization serving as its fiscal agent, or nonprofit organization, temple or church outside of the U.S. that supports the purpose of providing aid to those suffering from deprivations of basic human needs.
- Project will support purpose of the Fund to aid those suffering from deprivations of basic human needs.
- Funds will not be granted to the following:
- Fundraising events
- Political campaigns or lobbying
- To supplement the general operating expenses of the organization or salaries
Each application will be carefully reviewed by the Social Welfare Committee whose membership is made up of the BCA Directors-at-Large.
In 2016, funding was provided to:
- Central California Nikkei Foundation for $25,000 to replace the failing walk-in refrigerator/freezer for the Vintage Gardens Assisted Living Community, run by the Foundation.
- Nishi Hongwanji in Japan for $25,000 to aid in recovery relief after the devastating earthquakes that shook Kumamoto Prefecture in April 2016.
- Medical Ministries International for $9,500 to cover shipping costs to send medical/surgical equipment and supplies to Laos.
- Buddhist Global Relief Fund for $25,000 to support the Bodhicitta Foundation that operates a girls’ hostel and women’s community center in Nagpur, India.
Applications for the next review cycle are due April 1, 2018, and may be submitted to:
Buddhist Churches of America
Attn: Social Welfare Committee
1710 Octavia Street
San Francisco, CA 94109