BCA Job Announcement
Digital Content Assistant, Buddhist Churches of America (August 2020)
The Buddhist Churches of America’s mission is to share the Buddhist teachings with everyone and build a thriving, Dharma-centered community. BCA is seeking a Digital Content Assistant to support organizational communications and outreach efforts. The Digital Content Assistant will provide a broad range of marketing and outreach support to the organization, including distribution of social media, website, and digital content that educates the public, connects BCA temples, and highlights the inspirational messages of BCA ministers.
The Digital Content Assistant works closely with the BCA Communications Committee to implement a communications strategy to serve thousands of members, potential members, community partners, donors, and the media. The applicant must have excellent communication skills, technical skills, familiarity with digital media platforms, and an interest in Jodo Shinshu Buddhism.
The position is part time with the potential to expand, reporting to the Technology Outreach Committee. This is a remote position, working with staff based at the Jodo Shinshu Center in Berkeley, CA. When safe (post-pandemic), occasional travel required for meetings and events.
- Implement BCA’s communications strategies to advance BCA’s mission , enhance communication with members, educate potential members, and increase exposure of BCA temples and events.
- Maintain integrated communications calendar and post related content to BCA digital channels.
- Website: Serve as primary website administrator. Post and manage informational, educational, and events content on BCA website.
- Social Media: Manage BCA’s social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram); post regular written, image, and graphical content for members and supporters; respond to messages and comments.
- Print Newsletter Content Redistribution: Distribute content from BCA’s existing print newsletter, the Wheel of Dharma , across digital channels.
- Email Newsletter: Publish BCA Connect: the BCA e-newsletter, which highlights Wheel of Dharma articles, BCA news, events, and Jodo Shinshu resources.
- Video: Manage BCA YouTube page and content; distribute videos through other digital channels.
- Events: Maintain events calendar on website. Serve as a resource for the Center for Buddhist Education, local temples, and other BCA partners to communicate events and activities to the public via digital channels.
- Assist in the drafting of other written content and marketing materials as needed.
- Attend Communications Committee meetings and related events/activities.
- Assist with tracking and reporting of communications and marketing efforts initiated by the organization; use digital analytics tools to assess impact.
- Additional duties as needed to fulfill the mission of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or equivalent digital media experience.
- Entry-level experience or exposure to communications, marketing, public relations, and/or social media management.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Technical skills that demonstrate knowledge of, comfort with, and ability to produce and manage content on digital media platforms.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to relationship-building for the organization, both internally and externally.
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Experience working with standard office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Experience managing content on social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, etc.).
- Experience with website management (WordPress, Squarespace, etc.) and digital content development.
- Experience with basic video filming and editing techniques and software.
- Experience managing member email program (Constant Contact preferred).
- Knowledge of graphic design, photography, and social media platform image/graphics features.
- Background in Jodo Shinshu Buddhism and familiarity with BCA temples.
- Philosophical alignment with the organization’s mission and values.
Employment with the Buddhist Churches of America is at-will. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Judy Kono, Communications Committee Chair, at email@example.com . Please include any relevant personal or business social media links with your materials. For further information, contact Judy Kono at firstname.lastname@example.org.