The Center for Buddhist Education is located at the Jodo Shinshu Center which opened in 2006 to serve as a focal point for BCA educational programs, leadership training, cultural exchange and public discussion on Buddhism in the U.S. and global community.
As an educational arm of the Buddhist Churches of America (BCA), CBE offers programs to support the continuing education of BCA ministers, training of ministers’ assistants, temple leaders, dharma school teachers, youth groups, affiliated organizations and others interested in exploring Jodo Shinshu Buddhism in America.
Programs are developed in partnership with many entities within and beyond the BCA organization, including the Office of the Bishop, local BCA temples and BCA Districts and the Institute of Buddhist Studies.
While CBE is based at the JSC, a significant number of programs are now conducted in the various BCA districts:
- Winter and Spring Pacific Seminars – For the past three years, CBE and IBS have co-sponsored these sessions in Southern California at the Nishi Hongwanji Betsuin and Gardena Buddhist Church.
- The Eastern Tour and the new Northwest Tour – CBE has revived this tradition which dispatches a guest minister on a speaking tour of a region’s temples.
- Central California District Buddhist Education Program – CBE has ben helping to facilitate monthly classes and lectures at the many temples in this district.
- Minister’s Assistant Program (MAP) – Sessions have been conducted in the Eastern District (Ekoji, VA and the NY Buddhist Church).
- The LGBTQ Community & Shin Buddhism Seminar – CBE will be presenting this at the New York Buddhist Church in 2015.